Social Security Information     

Be sure to register your United States address in SEVIS as soon as you arrive in the U.S. You should do this BEFORE applying for your Social Security Card. Failure to register in SEVIS will result in cancellation of your visa, making it illegal for you to work in the United States. Please follow your visa sponsor’s recommendation on how to register in SEVIS.

Apply for your Social Security Card ten (10) days after enrolling in SEVIS. Please note - if you do not follow this procedure, it can take longer than necessary to get your Social Security Card. You will need the following forms when applying:

1.  Valid passport (not expired or expiring during your stay)
2.  Form DS-2019 – Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status
3.  Completed Social Security application (SS-5)

Please note all copies must be originals or certified by the issuing agency.  The local Social Security Administration office address is:

2875 Sabre Street, Suite 100
Virginia Beach, VA 23452

Electronic Fact Sheet for International Students

The Virginia Beach Social Security Office is located at 2875 Sabre St #100, Virginia Beach, VA 23452. Office hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., and Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. until 12:00 p.m., excluding Federal Holidays.

The best days to go to the Va Beach Social Security office to apply are Tuesdays and Thursdays. In order to avoid long lines, please arrive at 8:00 a.m. The line will begin to form at 8:15 a.m., and the doors will open at 8:30 a.m.You can travel there using Hampton Roads Transit (HRT), which is the local bus/trolley provider, or you can use Uber or a taxi service. Bus/trolley schedules can be found online at IMPORTANT: You must ask your employer, in advance, if they prefer you to use their address on the social security application (this is where the social security card will be mailed to). Only use your Virginia Beach housing address if you are positive that you will stay at this address for the entire summer. Social security cards will not be sent to a Post Office Box (P.O.Box).

Here is the link to the International Students page on the Social Security website:

The taxes you should not pay are as follows:
- Social Security and Medicare
Please provide your employer with this information to ensure proper taxes are withheld.  If you have any questions about this process, please contact your J-1 visa sponsor (found on your DS-2019 form). 

HomeCheck InEventsAbout VBHousingTransportationSafety & LawsFAQ